“Examine (scrutinize, prove,
try as gold) me, O LORD, and prove (test) me; try (smelt, refine) my mind (kidneys—as seat of emotions
and affections) and my heart (the
middle or center of anything; soul; mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection,
memory, resolution, determination of; conscience; as seat of appetites,
emotions and passions; as seat of courage).”
(Psalm 26:2)
“Search (examine,
investigate) me, O God, and know
(know in an intimate sense, as with a husband and wife) my heart (the
middle or center of anything; soul; mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory, resolution, determination of; conscience; as seat
of appetites, emotions and passions; as seat of courage); try (to examine, try (of gold), prove) me, and know my
anxieties (disquieting thoughts); and see if there is any wicked way (pain, sorrow; idol) in me, and lead me in the way (way,
road, distance, journey, manner; of course of life; of moral character) everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24)
This
was King David’s heart-cry. These prayers reveal a heart that was willing to
submit to whatever scrutiny necessary to cleanse his heart from any encumbrance
or obstacle that would prevent him from receiving and walking in fullness of
what God had for him, but most importantly, anything that would hinder intimacy
with God.
Acts 13:22, Paul preaching in a synagogue in Antioch proclaims: “And when He had removed him, He raised up
for them David as king, to whom
also He gave testimony and said, 'I have found David the son of Jesse, a man
after My own heart, who will do all My will.'”
David
invited God to scrutinize the inner recesses of his heart, to test and refine
him. That is the heart inclination of a man after God’s own heart.
As
a very new Christian, some 25 years ago, I made a decision that I desired a
heart like David’s; I desired to be a woman after God’s own heart. So, I began
to pray the prayers David prayed, in particular, the Psalm 26:2 and Psalm 139:23-12 prayers.
Do
I share this to impress? Nope. I began to pray this prayer with very little
understanding of the meaning and impact this prayer would have on and in my
life. I knew in my mind that I was virtually inviting the Lord to smelt my
heart, but I had no clue as to what that process entailed…or what that process
would reveal.
As
the trails and tribulations of life came and as the impurities of my heart
surfaced (both of which continue to this day!), I began to lament to the
Lord~~why was life so tough? Why was this ugliness surfacing in my heart?
On
a particularly difficult and traumatic season in my life, I cried out to God,
asking why on earth things had to be so tough. I heard the Lord’s small still
voice speak to my heart, “I am answering your prayer.” Aghast, I said out loud,
“What prayer?” Thinking I didn’t remember asking for an inordinate amount of
trauma and trials.
The
answer: “Your Psalm 26 and 139 prayers.”
Oh
my. So this was what smelting looked like and felt like. In order to bring more
comforting clarification, I began researching ancient smelting.
As
I researched the process of ancient smelting, I discovered the process involved
heating ore to the point of melting in order to extract the precious metals.
Once
the ore was melted, the smelter would then skim off the dross. from the ore,
leaving behind a pure metal, such as silver or gold. The dross is the scum or
extraneous matter or metals, thrown off in the process of melting. The dross is
the impurity which corrupts the precious metal. Once removed, the precious
metal is all that remains.
The
only way to extract the precious metal from the ore was to heat it to a melting
point, skim the dross, and viola~~pure silver or gold.
Dross.
So that’s what was coming up and out of my heart. Dross. So that’s what now
comes up and out of my heart as the Lord smelts my heart. It’s an ongoing
process. At first I was appalled at the amount of dross that was coming up and
out of my heart. And to this day, I still am amazed at what comes up and out of
my heart. But as I stop and think about it, that thought in and of itself is
dross! It’s pride. As an imperfect, fallible human being, as long as we live on
this earth we will be faced with dross in our hearts. We need the One Who alone
has a dross-free heart to purify our hearts.
In
Malachi 3:2, the Lord is compared to a “refiner’s fire.” He is the Master Refiner;
the One Who smelts our hearts for His glory.
“He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; He
will purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may
offer to the Lord an offering in righteousness.” Malachi 3:3
“That we may offer to the Lord an offering in
righteousness!” The heart is deceitful above all things (Jer. 17:9),
therefore, it is quite simple to lollygag through life with a dross-laden heart
and not even know it. It is not until we allow the Master Refiner to smelt our
hearts, that we find out what is really in our hearts.
The fascinating thing about the smelting process is
that not only is the dross or scum revealed, but what is also revealed is the
precious deposits of gold and silver hidden in the ore; thus is the case with
our hearts~smelting reveals the nuggets of “silver” and “gold” that the Lord
has imbedded into our hearts…the character Has built into us, the fruits of the
Spirit just waiting to burst forth with ripeness…His Word hidden in our
hearts…all nuggets of precious “metals” divinely forged in the ore of our
hearts.
The smelting process is designed by a Master
Refiner Who is the “Eternal God our Refuge and underneath are His everlasting
arms (Deut. 33:27). His purification process stems from a Father’s heart that
desires intimacy with us—the only way to intimacy with Him is to allow Him to
clear away the dross that we may have an unencumbered relationship with Him.
Living
on this earth, most of us know that each and every day is filled with its
challenges and obstacles. Each day has its refining moments. And, most of us
know that there are times in our lives, in particular, when those challenges
and obstacles seem insurmountable and overwhelming. I have heard these times
referred to refer to as “The Dark Night of the Soul.” It is a time when the
heat is turned up so hot, the melting so complete, that all we see are the swirls of dross, all we feel is
the pain of the heat, all we smell is the stench of the scum bubbling to the
surface of our hearts.
If
we desire intimacy with the Lord, not one of us can escape the smelting
process.
Moses
asked God to show him His glory (Ex. 33:18), in other words, Moses was asking
God to place him in the center of the Smelter’s pot! Moses led the people of Israel
out of bondage, but not before he surrendered his cushy place in Pharaoh’s
palace, killed an Egyptian and fled, and placed his neck on the line to stand
before Pharaoh and demand his people’s freedom.
Joseph
was destined to be second in command over Egypt, but before that ever came to
pass, “the word of the Lord tested him” (Ps. 105:19)~~he was thrown into a pit
by his own brothers, sold into slavery, falsely accused, and imprisoned.
David,
shepherd turned war hero, was destined to be king, but not before he was
rejected by the current king, hunted like a dog, taking refuge in the mountains,
the wilderness, the woods, and in a cave (1 Samuel).
“The
Lord blessed the latter days of Job more than the beginning,” (Job 42:12), but
not before Job spent what must have felt like an eternity in the Smelter’s pot
bearing the loss of his children, possessions, his health…and a few judgmental
friends.
The
apostle Peter rose to leadership among the apostles after Jesus’ ascension, healing
the sick, raising the dead by the power of the Holy Spirit, but not before he
was sifted like wheat at the hands of Satan (Luke 22:31).
Jesus
Himself is seated at the right hand of the throne of God, Jesus the Lamb of God
Who takes away the sin of the world, Messiah…but not before he was mocked,
beaten mercilessly, and crucified. Jesus knows better than anyone what it is to
be in the very center of the Smelter’s pot. He maintained a dross-free heart, but His life provided THE example as to how to wade through the smelting pot. Scripture tells us:
"For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted." Heb. 2:18
"...though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered." Heb. 5:8
"For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted." Heb. 2:18
"...though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered." Heb. 5:8
I
write this to encourage those of you walking through the smelting process at
this time. It is a sign that you have a heart after God, a heart that desires
intimacy with Him. Know that the Master Smelter is turning up the heat because
He loves you. He wants deeper intimacy with you and the only way to that deeper
intimacy is to allow Him to turn up the heat, skim the dross, all the while,
holding you in His everlasting arms.
The
results: a pure heart before Him, deeper intimacy with Him, and a life that
will more vibrantly reflect His glory.
2 comments:
This was so wonderfully written; I am encouraged by your illumination of the scriptures. Thanks for the new perspective.
Bless you and thank you for taking the time to share! I pray the One (Jesus) Whose dross-free heart imparts mercy and grace to us, would bless you deeply today!
Post a Comment